Known for its year-round sun, tropical beaches, expansive mountain ranges, and a myriad of family-friendly attractions, Southern California is one of the most popular vacation destinations in the world. From Santa Barbara and Newport Beach to Anaheim and San Diego, there are towns and cities across SoCal that cater to families with children of all ages. For history buffs, there’s also plenty of California ghost towns to explore in the region.
While visiting Southern California with your family, you’ll want to ensure that your accommodations are clean, safe, and kid-friendly. There are many Airbnbs throughout SoCal that offer incredible features and amenities designed exclusively for families. Check out our list of the most coveted kid-friendly Airbnbs in Southern California.
1. Ranch-Style Home in Santa Barbara
- Family Features: Outdoor dining table, outdoor seating, gas fireplace, custom fountain, outdoor kitchen, and outdoor TV
- Kid-Friendly Amenities: Children’s books, bunk beds, and themed bedrooms
- Sleeps: 9
- Rates from: $600 per night
Located in a quiet cul-de-sac in the heart of Santa Barbara, this newly remodeled five-bedroom, three-bath home is the perfect retreat for families. The 3,000 square foot space features a newly-updated kitchen, master suite, and colorful children’s bedrooms. Outside, guests will find an expansive gas fireplace, outdoor seating, custom fountain, Belgian picnic table, outdoor bar with infrared grill, outdoor fridge, and an outdoor TV.
The home is centrally located, providing guests with access to all of the area’s top attractions. Make your first stop the world-renowned Santa Barbara Zoo. The zoo boasts an impressive collection of animals that represent more than 146 species. With expansive windows and low barriers, children can see the animals up close and can even hand-feed the giraffes.
2. Bohemian-Chic Abode in Joshua Tree
- Family Features: Outdoor furniture, hammock, BBQ grill, private hot tub, fireplace, bocce ball court, and flat-screen TV
- Kid-Friendly Amenities: Pack ‘n Play, high chair, baby monitor, backyard, children’s dinnerware, and children’s books and toys
- Sleeps: 7
- Rates from: $496 per night
Enjoy a slower pace of life while staying in this bohemian-chic home in Joshua Tree. The spacious home features a cozy living room with a sectional sofa and TV, comfortable beds with fresh linens, and a dining table with seating for eight. Outdoors, families can enjoy a game of bocce on the custom court, lounge in the hammocks, or enjoy a meal.
The most popular attraction in Joshua Tree for families is Joshua Tree National Park. To enter the park, you’ll need to pay a fee of $30 per car, and then you’ll have access to ample trails and picnic areas. Enjoy a hike with the kids and then sit to munch on your packed lunch. At night, visitors can partake in stargazing.
3. Mid-Century-Inspired Beach House in Newport Beach
- Family Features: Fireplace, dining table, flatscreen TVs, soaking tub, garage, outdoor furniture, exercise equipment, and BBQ grill
- Kid-Friendly Amenities: Pack ‘n Play, high chair, bunk beds, and crib
- Sleeps: 10
- Rates from: $409 per night
Take the family and escape to this beautiful Newport Beach home on the coast. The home features an open-concept floor plan with splashes of color throughout and large windows that let in ample light. The beamed wood ceilings add visual interest to the home and the outdoor patio provides guests with spectacular beach views.
While staying in Newport Beach, you’ll find plenty of kid-friendly activities to do. Head to the Balboa Fun Zone and ride on an old-fashioned Ferris Wheel. There are also other fun things to do, including a variety of water activities, land activities, shopping, tours, film shoots, and access to tasty sweets and treats.
4. Luxury Home in Anaheim
- Family Features: Fully-equipped kitchen, dining table, pool, jacuzzi, outdoor seating, pool table, flat-screen TVs, and chef’s kitchen
- Kid-Friendly Amenities: Pack ‘n Play, high chair, baby safety gates, children’s dinnerware, children’s toys and games, themed bedrooms, and ball pit
- Sleeps: 16
- Rates from: $850 per night
This 4,000-square-foot home offers lavish accommodations for large families visiting Disneyland or other nearby attractions. The home features designer décor throughout, themed kids’ bedrooms, saltwater swimming pool, chef’s kitchen, leather sectional, and a fully-stocked entertainment center.
The house is located in a cul-de-sac in a nice residential neighborhood in Anaheim. It’s just an eight-minute drive to Disneyland where guests can enjoy dining, attractions, character experiences, events, tours, shopping, and so much more.
5. San Diego Home in Prime Location
- Family Features: Family rooms, kids-den, private fenced yard, pool table, bikes, hot tub, trampoline, home cinema, swings, tree house, climbing wall, and basketball hoop
- Kid-Friendly Amenities: Pack ‘n Play, high chair, game console, children’s dinnerware, children’s books and toys, crib, fireplace guards, and outlet covers
- Sleeps: 8
- Rates from: $499 per night
With four large family rooms downstairs, a kids-den, and four bedrooms upstairs, this San Diego home is perfect for large families. The home offers parking for up to two vehicles, as well as a quiet, south-facing backyard equipped with a children’s playset, trampoline, and other kid-friendly entertainment.
The home is located across the street from a large park and is within walking distance of the community swimming pool and cinema. About a five-minute drive away is Torrey Pines State Beach where families can go to relax in the sand or splash around in the ocean.
6. Bright Cabin in Idyllwild
- Family Features: Outdoor deck, fully-equipped kitchen, free wifi, and hot tub
- Kid-Friendly Amenities: Pack ‘n Play and baby safety gates
- Sleeps: 6
- Rates from: $496 per night
Experience breathtaking views from the decks of this mountain cabin in Idyllwild. The spacious home features vaulted ceilings, wooden floors, and large windows that let in plenty of natural sunlight. There is also a fully-equipped kitchen, bubbling hot tub, and outdoor dining space.
If you’re visiting Idyllwild with kids, be sure to spend a day at the Idyllwild Nature Center. The Nature Center doubles as a museum and offers a variety of interesting exhibits and access to local trails. There are also picnic areas, educational programs, and seasonal events throughout the year. You can also find more Idyllwild cabins that are ideal for families, couples and those traveling with pets.
7. Midcentury Cottage in Cardiff by the Sea
- Family Features: Outdoor deck, outdoor seating, hammock, dining table, BBQ grill, and custom shed for storage
- Kid-Friendly Amenities: Crib and children’s books and toys
- Sleeps: 6
- Rates from: $346 per night
This charming cottage by the sea is less than one mile from the beach and just a five-minute walk to Park & San Elijo Lagoon. The adorable home was recently remodeled and features modern fixtures and other tasteful upgrades. The living room opens up onto a covered patio deck where guests can enjoy a meal over conversation. The backyard offers privacy and ample outdoor lighting.
There are several shops and restaurants within walking distance to the cottage, including the world-famous Seaside Market. Bring the family to shop for ingredients to make a delicious meal, such as the local pacific halibut or wagyu beef sliders.
8. Stylish Home in Venice Beach
- Family Features: Fenced yard, detached studio, trampoline, hot tub, and kids playroom
- Kid-Friendly Amenities: Pack ‘n Play, children’s books and toys, babysitter recommendations, and fireplace guards
- Sleeps: 6
- Rates from: $700 per night
Located on a beautiful tree-lined street, this stylish Venice Beach home is a clean and cozy place to stay for small families. The two-bedroom home is an updated 1928 Spanish Colonial Venice property that offers an additional 350 square feet in the form of a detached studio that has its own bathroom and queen sofa bed. Outside, kids can safely place in the fenced yard which offers bikes and other entertainment.
While staying in Venice Beach, you’ll want to stick around for the weekly Venice Electric Light Parade. Each Sunday night at dusk, cyclists gather at Windward Plaza to ride around the neighborhood as a group on their festively lit bikes. Not only does the show promote bike safety, but it is also very fun to watch.
9. Resort-Style Home in San Diego
- Family Features: Fenced backyard, pool, kids playset, outdoor dining areas, and outdoor kids riding toys
- Kid-Friendly Amenities: Pack ‘n Play, high chair, baby safety gates, outlet covers, children’s books and toys, baby bath, board games, babysitter recommendations, crib, and children’s dinnerware
- Sleeps: 8
- Rates from: $420 per night
This private home in San Diego offers resort-like amenities, including a swimming pool, jacuzzi tub, BBQ grill, outdoor dining areas, private gardens, and pool heating for an extra fee. Inside, guests will find cozy seating, a fully-equipped kitchen, flat-screen TVs, a Japanese soak-in tub, breakfast nook, high-speed internet, and access to beach toys.
There is no shortage of fun things to do for families in San Diego. Consider a day trip to the Birch Aquarium at Scripps to engage in some ocean education and conservation. Little ones will love getting up close to the glass and seeing the massive tanks filled with lionfish, glowing moon jellies, sharks, and other sea creatures.
10. Modern Cabin in Lake Arrowhead
- Family Features: Outdoor deck, flat-screen TV, gas fireplace, fully-equipped kitchen, BBQ grill, fire pit, two-car garage, and washer and dryer units
- Kid-Friendly Amenities: Pack ‘n Play, high chair, children’s books and toys, fireplace guards, baby safety gates, and children’s dinnerware
- Sleeps: 10
- Rates from: $324 per night
Outfitted with stylish décor throughout, this modern cabin in Lake Arrowhead offers a quiet getaway for families. The home is situated just three blocks from the lake and a local trail. Guests can spend time lounging on the deck as the children roast marshmallows. Inside, the home is clean and inviting with its cozy furnishings, gas fireplace, large flatscreen TV, and various games and puzzles.
There’s much to do in the local area for families with kids. Consider a visit to the Wildhaven Ranch for a one-of-a-kind experience. This wildlife sanctuary is home to bears, raccoons, coyotes, and various other animals. Reservations are required to visit the sanctuary and private tours are available.
If you’re always staying in Airbnbs, maybe it’s time to start blogging about: learn how to become a travel blogger and earn money for your trips.